2.18.2012

A few frustrations

Doing the readings and having discussions in class have got me thinking... but somethimes not in a good way. For example, we are reading about all these injustices and problems and part of me wants to say, "so what." You probably read that and think that I'm a bad person or something but I just mean- we are focusing so much on the bad that it's difficult for me to want to read. I know that for social work it is important to know about all the problems and the discrimination that each group has faced. I understand the necessity. It's just hard to focus only on the problems and deny solutions.

Yolanda Padilla, my communities professor, does her research on poverty. She told us that sometimes people will come up to her and ask her if she really thinks poverty could be eliminated. She said she was surprised to find out that some people don't recognize that solutions can come. But sometimes I am one of those persons. We don't learn about what other people are doing to try and stop injustices as often as we develop our ideas about what the issues are and have been.

I think this is an issue.

I do enjoy reading Zinn and learning about how history really happened. And learning about The Great Flood was interesting too. But, it was also depressing. It makes me think- if we as a society can't learn form our past mistakes, and if we can't realize that money and politics can make for bad company, how can we progress?



On from this, I did think the "voices" section of our textbook really interesting. and highlights people's real experiences with different oppressions. My boyfriend is half-Korean and I found similarities with the Korean story as with his early childhood, but it also pointed out the things we don't think of. Apply make up in the "creases" in the eyelid.. something I would never think about as being one-sided or leaving others out. I guess we need to be more conscious about how we phrase our everything-- America isn't 100% white. It never has been and never will be. So let's try and FIX our constructions in a positive way.

No comments:

Post a Comment