2.23.2012

Why I feel "weird" today....

Emerson called tonight while I was reading Frederick Douglass' Autobiography (the runaway slave that promoted abolition) for another class and he asked me if everything was okay. 


I said, "I feel weird."


Today was that kind of a day. Talking about spirituality in Human Behavior has been interesting and challenging.  Then in Social Justice we discussed Monday's class with guest speaker LeDon Matthys. Both Monday's and today's class I have felt discouraged because it seems like no one really wants to talk. Racism is a big issue and the only way we figure out what we need to work on is by having open discussion. After class I went to the LBJ museum for my communities class and it really impacted me to see the struggles of the 60s and I was moved to see all that LBJ did for civil rights and The Great Society. But it also made me wonder if we have come to a stand still in our forward movements.


I went to tutor my little 3rd grader through the Victory Program as I do every Wednesday, and again am reminded how different schooling can be for minority or low income students.


Finally I end the day coaching gymnastics and I thought all would be fine. But, while we were stretching, a 7th grader was describing to a peer what her elective choices are for the fall. She had a range of choices like wilderness survival, culinary arts, and interior design. I asked her what school she goes to and she replied "Kealing." I have done some work with Kealing and did a presentation to an AVID class last semester and asked if she was involved in the program. (It's a program mostly for immigrant or potential first generation college students that promotes the prospect of college). To which she replied that that program was only for the CAP students. I asked, "Are you not in the CAP program?" to which she said, "No, that's only for poor people and delinquents." To this, I carefully replied that her statement could be disrespectful and said she probably doesn't know much about what these kids are going through- she interrupted and said "yeah- they're from a family of delinquents."


I know she is only a 7th grader, but it really made me sad and kind of hurt my feelings. I was just shocked that this young girl had already made up her mind on a whole group of students- and it makes me worried for our future. Where did she get these ideas? her family? her teachers in the magnet program? society as a whole?


What can we do?

4 comments:

  1. Morgan -
    I know that occurrences in our daily lives can be saddening, frustrating, and down right maddening at times. But, it's good that you are reflecting and trying to figure out where your feelings are rooted. Seems as though you may be trying to figure out how you can make a difference in the lives of others whose (re)actions may be rooted in ignorance. But, that's where your continued social work training and life experiences come in handy. You never know how much of a positive influence you may be on ONE student with all the contacts that you make with the adolescents in your various activities. Don't give up trying to help make changes to the negativity in the world that's present every day. Hang in there, and you just may be one of the people that some of these young folks look back and say "Thank you" to once they've matured a little more.
    The young lady in 7th grade may have gotten her way of thinking from one or more influences in her her life (including family and the media). My son was in the Magnet Program at Kealing Middle School. I don't know what it's like now, but back then (around 1990), it was known as the "Little U.T.". I didn't like how the student body was obviously divided throughout the day (based on academic program level), but is seems to have gotten worse now. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Morgan,

    It's always interesting to me when you start leaning more about something or discuss things in class and then you feel like it's everywhere you go. I am glad that you were able to respond to the 7th grader and express your thoughts to her, even if you wanted to say more. By you saying what you did, she at least had to think about what you said to have a response. (Even if it wasn't kind). Being around that girl and being who you are makes more of an impact than you probably realize. I'm sorry your feelings were hurt, but encourage you to keep up what you're doing! You're great.

    Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Way to respond in an appropriate way! I had a pretty visceral reaction to your student's comment just reading that; so I'm not sure I could have kept my composure the way you did. Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Morgan,

    I appreciate that you actually corrected your student instead of simply over looking her comment. She is right at that impressionable age and your correction might have made her actually think about what she said.
    Furthermore, it is quite disturbing that she already has those negative thoughts associated with people who have been to jail or those who are poor. Most people in her social circle probably agree with her or taught her to associate distaste for those groups. Society needs people like us to correct them and show them that a different way of thinking is not abnormal, it is socially just.

    ReplyDelete