3.28.2012

Journalism and Social Justice


This political cartoon was published in The Daily Texas on Tuesday.

I walked into class today and this was projected on the wall.

The discussion started. People started with trying to understand the satire and talking about the uncomfortable feelings that arose for them.

I chimed in.

I tried to explain that getting your cartoon to be recognized nationwide is an awesome thing. I said that I thought the cartoon itself was pretty awesome.

The discussion continued. People said they thought it was a bad representation for UT. They questioned how this was allowed. They talked about the emotional connections that this cartoon can bring up. They talked about Stephanie, the creator of this editorial cartoon, being kicked out of school. "It will happen," one professor said.

I got frustrated and walked out of class.

Here I am to explain myself.

I was upset. I figured it would be better to walk around outside and cry by myself then to explode in class without being able to formulate all my thoughts.

So here are those thoughts.

Editorial cartoons are meant to comment on the greater society.

THIS IS NOT A RACIST CARTOON. This is a cartoon ABOUT race issues.

We live in a society in which the media coverage of news doesn't turn off. It is a 24 hour system. The media can take a breaking story, publish a million news articles, editorials and blogs before the week is over. With this much competition, a reporter's goal is to get the most readers. How do we do this? Sometimes unethically. Sometimes we focus too much on one aspect of the story and forget about the whole big picture. "If it bleeds it leads." "The more controversial the subject matter the more readers."

That being said, the point of drawing a cartoon or writing a story is to stir the pot. Get people talking. Make people uncomfortable.

In this particular cartoon, I think the dialogue is important. Using the word "colored" questions where we are at this point in time. Is race really an issue in 2012, just as it was in 1965? The answer is yes. But, the cartoon is also holding Media responsible. As journalists, we have to question our motives is the stories we right, the facts we focus on, and the reason behind our message.

As social workers, we have to be careful in our discussions not to quickly jump on the bandwagon. It's easy to see this cartoon and feel outraged. But it's our job to try and understand every aspect of the situation.

Also, with the Trayvon Martin case, it is easy to say, "This is a HATE CRIME." But we are missing the point. We must focus first and foremost on getting Zimmerman in front of a court. Only after that should we discuss the implications of hate. But without a trial, Zimmerman will not ever be held accountable for killing a teenage boy.

One last point. If Stephanie is kicked out of UT, as the professor said she would be, where is journalism headed in our country. The first amendment allows free speech. UT students and faculty should not be ashamed that a journalist at our school is making headlines for adding to the discourse. And, the editorial bored of the DT should not apologize. The opinion pages are a place for this discourse. If we start rejecting material because it is going to press buttons, then we are regressing in the age of information.





8 comments:

  1. Morgan -
    I sort of felt that you were upset when you walked out of class, but glad that this blogging platform is available for you to get all of your thoughts out there. When I first saw the cartoon, I didn't quite know what to make of it, and it's been so long since I've had a journalism class, that I don't remember the "rules", etc. associated with that field. Anyway, it's my usual practice not to say much (if anything) if I don't know the full story in a particular situation. Glad you've explained the process.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Morgan,

    Thanks for your post.

    I wanted to mention this in class, but due to the course our discussion took, I knew it wasn't appropriate. But maybe we can talk about it here.

    I responded to your comments by saying the the cartoonist apologized. Because she apologized, to me it felt like an admission to the racism seemingly evident to some, including myself and many in our class. But I also wanted to add that it WAS posted in the OPINION section of the paper. While I do feel that this picture was inappropriate, it reminds me of a media stir that occurred a week or two ago.

    Did you hear about the Doonesbury comics? They focused on the new sonogram laws in Texas, and many people thought they were crude. Some papers didn't run them, and most of them moved the cartoons off the comics page and into the opinion page.

    I think your concern of free speech is very valid. I was upset that the Doonesbury cartoons were moved to the opinion section, but I agreed with the portrayal he was making. They were crude, but because I have been exposed to that environment, I knew that women who had abortions really do perhaps feel that way. I know that I would feel that way. I don't agree with the cartoon the Daily Texan published, and I immediately felt upset.

    But if we remove media that upsets us, we risk media corruption by censoring opinions. We aren't all going to agree on cartoons posted in the paper EVER.

    I have been reluctant to sign the petition on change.org about this cartoon demanding an apology by the paper and a week long discussion in the paper about previous racism on the UT campus. While I may change my mind and sign it, at this point I feel like that was the author's right to free speech, so I hesitate.

    While I think you and I disagree about the message of the cartoon (as we thankfully are both able to have an opinion on), the artist was successful is getting a conversation going. Hell, we spent a whole class discussing it.

    Anyway, as always I appreciate your thoughts. I hope more people comment on this post, because I personally didn't feel like our conversation was finished.

    See you soon.

    P.S. SCORE ON THE PADILLA PAPER! THANKS, MORGAN!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your welcome Katy!

    By the way all... the DT did apologize (regrettably in my opinion). But, it is interesting to read the comments under the apology.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Morgan,
    I agree with your view point. I get the cartoon stirred up emotions, however the purpose in doing so was to get people talking. I did not say anything in class, because I knew people would jump on anything I said. If individual opionion start getting sensored, where will the sensoring stop. Will I be allowed to write from my personal perspective? Or will I have to subject myself to the perspective of a larger whole?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you just made a point I was secretly trying to get at. I think this class needs more devils advocates. Or at least more OPEN discussion where all sides can be talked about with out that fear of attack.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don’t feel like journalists can hide behind the freedom of speech as a way to avoid cultural awareness, sensitivity, and basic humanity. I feel strongly that the use of an overtly racist term was extremely insensitive and ignorant. The irony for me is that yellow journalism is a term used for journalism that is unethical or unprofessional. The cartoon was both unethical and unprofessional. In terms of the student, I think it would be an injustice for her to be kicked out of UT. UT is an institute for education and learning. I would venture to say that she has learned a great deal through this ordeal. And, for the love of all things holy, we all make mistakes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Morgan,
    One of the most important lessons I've learned in my life is the fact that everyone does not have to agree with what I believe, it's only important that I believe in it. I'm sorry if you felt attacked. The truth of the matter is that sometimes we make decisions that not only affect us, but others as well. While I can certainly understand the author's intent, I guess it was one of those times when maybe she should have used a little restraint. While the constitution does support "free speech", it does add unless the intent of the speech could cause harm or be assumed as "fighting words". You cannot constitutionally say anything you want that could incite furor or feelings of misgivings. That's a presumption that is incorrect about the constitution. I hope that the girl does not lose her job or be expelled from school because I just think that everyone makes mistakes. I am just excited to be in a class that makes us to face and discuss these difficult topics. See you soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. just so you know "callmegwen", the free speech clause of the constitution has nothing to do with whether or not you can judge someone or whether they can be fired from a school paper or expelled from a school. "free speech" only holds any importance when describing whether someone can be incriminated by the GOVERNMENT for things that they say. I'm not sure which supreme court decisions you may be quoting, but the "cause harm" or "fighting words" exceptions of free speech are in the case of "clear and present danger", which is generally regarded--as in almost all supreme court decisions--a physical danger or an obstruction of the prevention of physical danger. The only cases in which incite furor or feelings of misgivings is possibly in slander, libel, or obscenity laws, in which those arguments still do no hold. YOUR presumptions about the constitution are incorrect and are based on emotion (not that your emotions are necessarily incorrect). It is a cartoon about media excessively jumping on a story. The only ones it is meant to offend is possibly journalist. It is not a mistake, it is a political cartoon

      Delete