7.15.2012

LIFEplans

So I have been thinking about the future a lot lately because in May I will be a college graduate!!

..... Now what am I going to do after.....

I have been researching a lot and am realizing that all of my passions really relate to both social work and public health.

But, I have been researching schools and programs and have run into a lot of road blocks.

UT is where I want to continue my education but they only offer a dual degree MSW/MPH for the macro level social work.

The University of Washington (Seattle) requires 2 years post bachelor to apply to public health.

Boston University is awesome, but in order to apply to the advanced standing MSW you have to have your field evaluation and recommendation by Jan 15 and we don't start our placement until January. Plus it is a lot of money.

Washington University (St. Louis) is one of the best schools for both degrees- I don't even know if I can get in to the program. Plus it is $26k-$34k a year. Sure they give over $4 million in scholarships per year, but that is a TON of money

PLUS- all these places are cold and out of state... AKA a lot of money. And my parents told me they aren't signing any more student loans for me.

All this, and I am thinking about my future plans with the boy. I would love to finally be in the same town as him, and while all these schools could be the right option academically, they may not fit financially or in location.


BLAH.

Anyway- Today I went to a volunteer training for GENaustin and it was fabulous. I am so glad I am going to get to be a part of this organization!! If you haven't heard of it do look in to it. It caters to adolescent girls through workshops, weekly groups and more. It focuses on improving communication skills, body image and relationships. It feels like I am putting my research the past 3 years into practice!


1 comment:

  1. HI Morgan,
    Glad to see you are still blogging! Lots of decisions to make for grad school. Have you thought about Tulane? They offer hefty aid packages if I recall. Also, Tara Powell, a PhD student graduated from the MSW/MPH program so you might contact her.Let me know if you want her contact information. Visiting the schools if you can manage is also a good way to "vibe" the program. I am happy to help and look forward to seeing you at the potluck!

    ReplyDelete