3.11.2012

Religion

My family came in town this weekend! It was fabulous.

Ok- now to talk about the difficult stuff. I had to write a paper on a controversial human rights issue last semester, and when trying to find a topic, I googled human rights. One of the issues the website listed was religion, and I really didn't connect religion as a rights issue until class on Wednesday.

I shared in class that I have felt singled out in my extended family for all of my beliefs. Religion is one of these, politics is another.

I don't want to go in depth here just because this is such a private medium, but I do want to say that from my experiences living in a strictly Baptist household, I see my family deny some human rights issues and ethical thinking toward others-- all based in religious traditions.

I guess I just realize that religion can be something that brings people together- which is awesome. But, we have to remember that it can also be a HUGE dividing factor. And not just overseas and far away.

I've always loved this bumper sticker, but I think the talk we had on Wednesday really solidifies that people from all different religious backgrounds can join together and discuss openly and nonjudgmentally:


1 comment:

  1. Morgan -
    It took me a while to figure out the word that's spelled out by the religious symbols at the end of your post, and if I'm not mistaken, it's "Coexist". That really says it all! We may all have various belief systems about the topics that we face on a daily basis, but we also have to live with each other in this world. So, why can't we just 'agree to disagree' on some things, while living together in harmony? For a while now, I've considered reading books on world religions, and since I won't be taking any classes this Summer, that may be the project for me. I know what I believe, but it's interesting to me to find out about others' philosophies, etc. and how they all connect at some point. Great post! :-)

    ReplyDelete