4.14.2012

Testing kids with disorders

My brother is dyslexic. I remember the struggles at home before we knew-- my mom and brother at the dinner table long after dinner had ended. Tyler, hanging half his body off the chair and playing with legos, Mom, frustrated and crying because tyler couldn't concentrate or answer easy questions

In kindergarden, Tyler went to 3 different schools. The first was an awful experience. The teacher constantly belittled him for not knowing and being able to write his alphabet. I don't remember why the second school didn't work out but I do know that the third school gave him the extra attention he needed, along with the testing.

Today, Ty has come a long way- and I am so proud of him. He is so smart. He knows everything there is to know about computers, and when he feels motivated, he can do really well in school.



The other day, I mentioned to my tutor representative that my tutee may need to get tested for ADHD and possibly other learning disabilities. The response- AISD rarely provides testing. Parents must request the testing, not teachers or faculty, and the district can deny requests. With my face of horror, she went on to tell me that this also applies to vision and hearing tests. THAT'S INCREDIBLE.

I definitely want to do some more research on this.

No comments:

Post a Comment